Welcome to HmongZa.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing topics, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Thaum yus tsis hais "yog"...

6 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

In English we say "I am tired" or "She is young" or "You are clever." Tiamsis thaum hais lus Hmoob, peb hais tias "Kuv nkees" losyog "Nws hluas" losyog "Koj ntse." Someone told me that the real sentence is "Kuv yog nkees" but we just leave out "yog" most of the time. Is this right? Would it sound OK to say "Kuv yog nkees," "Nws yog hluas," "Koj yog ntse," etc. or should you never use "yog" in these sentences?

Ua tsaug.

Posted · Report post

In English we say "I am tired" or "She is young" or "You are clever." Tiamsis thaum hais lus Hmoob, peb hais tias "Kuv nkees" losyog "Nws hluas" losyog "Koj ntse." Someone told me that the real sentence is "Kuv yog nkees" but we just leave out "yog" most of the time. Is this right? Would it sound OK to say "Kuv yog nkees," "Nws yog hluas," "Koj yog ntse," etc. or should you never use "yog" in these sentences?

Ua tsaug.

Haha. Hi stranger it's you!

Please do not use "yog" in your sentences. It sound weird.

Just use, "kuv nkees"

"Koj ntse"

"Koj hluas"

It makes more sense this way.

Posted · Report post

Ua tsaug.

Lus Hmoob tsis hais li lwm haiv neeg lus feem ntau. Lus Fabkis muajjis hais li lus Hmoob thiab. "Koj yog nkees" doesn't make sense. Yuavtsum hais lino. "Koj yog neeg nkees" = You are a tire person. "Koj nkees"=You are tired or lazy. If you want to say someone is smart or intelligent, you should say "Koj yog neeg je." If you want to say someone is young in Hmong, you can say "Nws, tus ntxhais no/ntawd tseem lhuas/mos."

Posted · Report post

Haha. Hi stranger it's you!

Please do not use "yog" in your sentences. It sound weird.

Just use, "kuv nkees"

"Koj ntse"

"Koj hluas"

It makes more sense this way.

Hey Silly! Yes, I'm back in Hmongza. Looks like I'll be around the forums again for a while! Got lots of learning to do and hope to see some old friends again.

Thanks to both you and Vahuamsibluag for the responses. The reason that I asked is that some Hmong linguists say that 1) the adjective changes to a verb in sentences like these: Kuv (subject) nkees (verb). One teacher that I know, however, says that 2) they are still adjectives, but "yog" is implied: Kuv (subject) [yog] (verb) nkees (adjective). But if you can't say the sentence with "yog" and have it still sound OK, then I'm thinking that the first way is right--the adjective actually changes to a verb when used in that kind of sentence.

Posted · Report post

Welcome back!

I'm looking forward to seeing more posts from you.

Hey Silly! Yes, I'm back in Hmongza. Looks like I'll be around the forums again for a while! Got lots of learning to do and hope to see some old friends again.

Thanks to both you and Vahuamsibluag for the responses. The reason that I asked is that some Hmong linguists say that 1) the adjective changes to a verb in sentences like these: Kuv (subject) nkees (verb). One teacher that I know, however, says that 2) they are still adjectives, but "yog" is implied: Kuv (subject) [yog] (verb) nkees (adjective). But if you can't say the sentence with "yog" and have it still sound OK, then I'm thinking that the first way is right--the adjective actually changes to a verb when used in that kind of sentence.

Posted · Report post

Peb cov lus Hmoob tsis muaj verb ces peb siv txawv English os mog. Koj hais tau hais tias:

Kuv nkees

Kuv yog neeg tub nkees

Nws hluas

Nws yog ntxhais hluas

Koj ntse

Koj yog neeg ntse

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0